Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Review-Portnoy's Complaint (1969) by Philip Roth

I know it's a little strange reviewing a book that was originally published 32 years ago. I had heard of Portnoy's Complaint many years ago, but had never gotten around to reading it.

Outstanding book. It is best described as the story of a young man, Alexander Portnoy who describes his upbringing in a Jewish household. It is narrated in the first-person by Alexander Portnoy (as an adult) to his psychologist.

This book made Philip Roth famous. The book is brilliantly written. I felt as if I was sitting in the psychologist's office as Alexander described his youth, his infatuation with all things sexual and his frustrations with the same.

This book must have been quite a sensation in 1969. Alexander describes in detail his latent sexual attraction to his mother, his father's frustration with his job and his inability to move his bowels. It is very apparent that his experiences as a young boy has contributed to his inability to maintain healthy relationships with women, and the sexual roller coaster ride he finds himself on as an adult.

Portnoy's Complaint is considered one of the hallmark American novels of the 20th Century. This is a classic book that inspries me to continue to explore the writings of Philip Roth.


Portnoy's ComplaintPortnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved this book, must have been way ahead of it's time when it was published. I reviewed on my blog on March 6th, 2011. http://jiresell.blogspot.com/2011/03/boo...

View all my reviews

No comments: