Time for me to introduce my MLS Power Rankings. At this point in the season, I think I have a pretty good idea of how the league is sorting out, so I'm going to share my thoughts on a weekly basis. My rankings combine overall season performance along with current form, so it's my attempt to show the 18 teams as I currently see them.
|Real Salt Lake #1, Week 5|
Week 5 Power Rankings (wins-losses-draws):
1) Real Salt Lake, Western Conference (4-0-0) 12 points
2) Philadelphia Union, Eastern Conference (3-1-1) 10 points
3) LA Galaxy, Western Conference (3-1-3) 12 points
4) Colorado Rapids, Western Conference (3-2-0) 9 points
5) Houston Dynamo, Eastern Conference (2-1-2) 8 points
6) Columbus Crew, Eastern Conference (2-1-2) 8 points
7) New York Red Bulls, Eastern Conference (2-1-2) 8 points
8) Portland Timbers, Western Conference (2-2-1) 7 points
9) D.C. United, Eastern Conference (2-2-1) 7 points
10) Seattle Sounders FC, Western Conference (1-2-3) 6 points
11) Toronto FC, Eastern Conference (1-2-3) 6 points
12) New England Revolution, Eastern Conference (1-2-3) 6 points
13) San Jose Earthquakes, Western Conference (1-2-2) 5 points
14) FC Dallas, Western Conference (1-3-1) 4 points
15) Sporting Kansas City, Eastern Conference (1-2-1) 4 points
16) Chicago Fire, Eastern Conference (1-3-1) 4 points
17) Vancouver Whitecaps, Western Conference (1-2-3) 6 points
18) Chivas USA, Western Conference (0-2-3) 3 points
A few comments:
- Real Salt Lake continues to dominate.
- The Portland Timbers are the biggest early season surprise. Two big victories this week earned them the 8th spot in my rankings.
-Sporting KC is the biggest early season disappointment. Their first home game can't come soon enough.
-The Chicago Fire started the season well, but have since gone into a 3 game tailspin.
Remember, the CONCACAF Champions League Finals begin this Wednesday, April 20th. The game is on Fox Soccer Channel, 8pm MST, 10pm EST. On Twitter, use the #MLS4RSL hashtag and support Real Salt Lake!