Monday, August 15, 2011

The The LA Galaxy Maintain the Top Spot! Major League Soccer Power Rankings Week 22, 8/15/11

The LA Galaxy Maintain the Top Spot!
My Major League Soccer Rankings are pretty much for my own entertainment. I like messing around with numbers, and am a big fan of the MLS, so why not combine the two.

I have been publishing my rankings since matchweek 5. My intent with the rankings is to judge who are the best teams top to bottom at this point in the season. My intent is not to predict how the season will end.

I have been trying to figure out a way to look at how accurate my rankings are. Haven't really figured out a way, but I think the best way would be to try to look at the rankings for the current week and how those rankings predict the results on the field. More to come on that.

I have made a minor adjustment to my formula this week. Specifically, the way I was calculating the rankings prior did not take into account the number of matches played. Theoretically a team who had played less matches could be hurt in my formula, so now I have made the proper adjustments to take number of games played out as a factor.

Some quick notes for this week:

- Biggest jump up? The Houston Dynamo jumped up 3 spots.

- Biggest decline? Real Salt Lake dropped 4 spots.

- Best current form? Colorado, The LA Galaxy and Seattle.

- Poorest current form? San Jose and Chicago.

My week 22 Major League Soccer Rankings:


1) LA Galaxy (West)
2) Colorado Rapids (West)
3) Seattle Sounders FC (West)
4) FC Dallas (West)
5) Columbus Crew (East)
6) Chivas USA (West)
7) D.C. United (East)
8) Houston Dynamo (East)
9) Real Salt Lake (West)
10) Philadelphia Union (East)
11) Sporting Kansas City (East)
12) Portland Timbers (West)
13) New York Red Bulls (East)
14) New England Revolution (East)
15) Toronto FC (East)
16) Vancouver Whitecaps (West)
17) San Jose Earthquakes (West)
18) Chicago Fire (East)


No comments: